Tips for Parents:
- DO NOT rent hotel rooms for teens.
- Ask your teen for a detailed itinerary for prom night, including venues, times, and contact numbers.
- Establish an agreed upon time for him/her to be home.
- Make sure your teen’s cell phone is charged and tell them to keep it on at all times.
- Set up established check-in times and when your teen will call or text you.
- Know who is driving and who the passengers will be. If using a limousine service, make sure that no alcohol is allowed inside the vehicle.
- Discuss the school’s rules that are in place for prom.
- Encourage them to WEAR THEIR SEATBELT!!!
- Provide an “out” for your teen. For example give them a contact number of someone he/she can call at anytime to get help if he/she is in a situation where he/she doesn’t feel safe or comfortable.
- Stay up until your teen gets home and check-in with him/her.
Tips for Teens:
- Plan ahead – make sure you have a safe and fun prom night.
- Charge your cell phone and have it with you at all times.
- Call or text your parent at the times you have discussed.
- Alcohol is illegal for anyone under 21. It can get you arrested, hurt, or worse!
- Do not allow anyone in your car or limo that has alcohol, drugs, or weapons. Besides being dangerous, everyone in the car is at risk for being arrested.
- Do not accept anything to drink from someone you don’t know. If you leave your drink unattended, throw it out and get a new one.
- Know where you are and where you are going. If plans change make sure to let your parents know.
- Don’t let friends drink and drive. Never get into a car with anyone who has been drinking.
- Have a responsible person available for a safe ride home if an emergency arises.
- Trust Your Instincts! If you feel endangered or uncomfortable, leave immediately.
Next: Communicating the Risks of Marijuana